Šiaulių Bankas acts in compliance with delegated Regulation 2018/389 of the European Parliament and of the Council supplementing Directive 2015/2366 of the European Parliament and of the Council by a regulatory technical standard for strict customer authentication and secure open communication standards.
Authentication Instruments for Online Banking Transactions
Delegated Regulation 2018/389 of the European Parliament and of the Council supplementing Directive 2015/2366 of the European Parliament and of the Council by a regulatory technical standard for strict customer authentication and secure open communication standards came in force from 14 September this year.
Šiaulių Bankas, taking into account customers' needs and habits, is not planning on relinquishing PIN code cards, however, in accordance to the new regulation, the authorization and confirmation process has been updated with a code that is being sent to a client’s mobile telephone by SMS.
PIN code card and additional password received through SMS („PIN+SMS“)
This is how the process of logging in to the on-line bank will look like from 13 September when choosing to log-in with PIN code card:
Process on confirming transactions from 13 September after choosing PIN code card:
1. Why does one need to authenticate On-line banking transactions with a strict client authentication instrument?
2. What On-line Banking users must sign their transactions with „PIN + SMS“ since 13 September 2019?
All On-line Banking users using the PIN code card.
3. Which On-line banking transactions do not require PIN + SMS confirmation?
When making credit transfers between your own accounts and exchanging currency, such transactions are executed only at the click of a confirmation button (i.e. such transactions do not require a signature on the customer's authentication instrument). This condition applies if transactions are performed among accounts of the same client and the transactions are approved by the first (top) signature user.
4. Do I need to take any action in order to use the PIN + SMS tool?
If you use a PIN code card, you must provide the Bank your mobile phone number to which SMS with optional password will be sent (SMS messages are free).
You can provide your mobile phone number as follows:
- log in to the Internet Bank, go to Other Services -> Previous Version of the Internet Bank (you will be redirected to the previous version of the Internet Bank), then go to Settings -> Contact Number Update Form
- by coming in person to any Šiaulių bankas unit.
If you do not have a PIN code card, come to any unit of the bank and you will be issued the card free of charge.
5. Will SMS with optional password be sent to foreign operators’ mobile telephone numbers?
Yes. If you wish to receive SMS messages to the foreign operator's phone number, enter the number as described in the reply to question 4.
In order to avoid possible roaming interferences, the customers living abroad or frequent travellers are recommend to use other login instruments such as, for instance, Smart-ID.
6. What to do if I lose my mobile phone number, provided to the Bank for sending the SMS messages with additional password?
7. How to change the mobile phone number, provided to the bank for sending SMS with additional password?
You can update your mobile number by logging in to the Internet Bank – go to Other Services -> Previous Version of the Internet Bank (you will be redirected to the previous version of the Internet Bank), then go to Settings -> Contact Number Update Form. If you are unable to update your contacts, you are welcome to visit the nearest customer service point the list of which is available here.
8. Can I use not PIN + SMS but other operation signing tools?
Yes, you can use other strict client authentication tools:
- Mobile signature: one of the safest today's existing electronic identification measures. The mobile signature can be acquired if you have entered into subscription with any of the mobile operators operating in Lithuania;
- Smart-ID is a user-friendly, secure, and modern connection that is free and will work wherever you have wireless internet (Wi-Fi) and / or mobile internet connection. More information on Smart-ID is available here;
- Code generator: bank issues an electronic device that generates a unique login and signing codes. The code generator can be purchased in person at any unit of the bank for the fee stated in Standard Rates.
- Please note that the Bank employees will never themselves, by calling or writing e-mail, ask you to disclose your phone number, credit card or online banking system information.
- You can provide your phone number needed to send the SMS with additional password only yourself and only in the two above ways: via On-line banking or coming to Šiaulių bankas unit.
- If you lose this number, immediately notify the bank by phone 1813 (+370 37 301 337 for calls from abroad) or come to any Šiaulių bankas unit.
If you have questions, you are welcome to contact us by phone 1813 (+370 37 301 337 if calling from abroad) or come to selected Šiaulių bankas unit.